Liquid Sanitizers, UV Sanitization, Electrostatic Application, and Passive Technology
Liquid Hand Sanitizers
Liquid sanitizers, typically designed and marketed for direct application to the hands, are only partially effective against microbes. As a ‘this or nothing’ approach to sanitation, they merit the investment. But anyone hoping to eliminate pathogen propagation from their environment with liquid sanitizers alone will ultimately be disappointed with the results.
The flu and common colds are caused by viruses, which are not all killed by the simple application of alcohol. Even if alcohol could kill all microbes, you would be killing them one host at a time and depending on everyone to consistently use those hand sanitizer stations every time they touched any common-area object (or another person) in the environment. SafeHandles products on commonly-touched surfaces in combination with alcohol sanitizer stations will help keep germs from being passed from person to person.
As for UV sanitization, the jury is still out – possibly because they have the flu. There was a study done in 2014 that found UV wands 100% effective at eliminating certain bacteria and 90% effective at ‘inactivating’ spore-forming bacteria. However, that leaves other species and strains of bacteria and viruses. Also, it leaves that other 10% of the spores. In addition to these inadequacies, there are problems with the means of applying this form of prophylaxis. The UV light is subject to “blind spots”, the best example of this concern is when a sanitizing station is placed in a hospital room, backsides of door handles are shaded from the light while UV stations are typically moved around a room to minimize blind spots, it is very difficult to eliminate UV shading. Additionally, the UV radiation will not penetrate any dirt or dust which provide protection for the target pathogens, nor can it penetrate into any cracks or crannies. If improperly applied, the UV radiation can cause skin and eye damage, so logistical challenges can impact normal facilities operations to ensure the safety of inhabitants. UV sanitization is used in certain medical and food preparation environments, in combination with cleaning, sanitizing and disinfecting.
Electrostatic sanitation is the application of a sanitizer or disinfectant via an electrostatically-charged mist. For places that are hard to reach, janitorial staff need only point and spray. The mist envelops objects and surfaces, coating it evenly, allowing the sanitizer or disinfectant to work. SafeHandles specializes in the electrostatic application of fine mist compounds of Pure HSC. In fine mist form, tiny electrostatically charged particles of Pure HSC cover all facility surfaces no matter how hidden or cluttered regardless of orientation, providing for a sanitizing or disinfecting coverage that cannot be achieved by manual application. Because the sanitizers or disinfectants used in this application do not bind to the surfaces they are easily washed and worn away, and with that their effectiveness is lost – usually within a several hours. That’s why this process is ideal when used in combination with SafeHandles sleeves and tape, electrostatic application can take the cleanliness of your facility to the next level.
The silver-embedded SafeHandles reduce the germs left from previous users, thus significantly reducing the transfer of germs to subsequent users. They are a durable film with antimicrobial agents embedded that can be applied and left in place with long-lasting antibacterial effectiveness against hand-to-mouth, eye or nose transmission of surface-borne pathogens. Used in conjunction with cleaning, disinfecting, and other antimicrobial technology, the passive technology of SafeHandles completes any facility’s antimicrobial coverage.